‘Read my Buddy‘ (RmB) is a collaborative reading programme aimed at transforming moderate readers into fervent readers and helping them to become better learners, through mentoring by peers and teachers.
- To transform moderate readers into fervent readers through a guided and collaborative reading approach.
- To understand and assess the reading habit and skills of a student through creating a Reading profile.
- To find and apply strategies to improve the reading and learning skills of a moderate reader who also may be a slow learner.
- To provide personalized learning support to all participants by seamlessly giving access to required information resources available in and outside the library.
- To collaborate with teachers for mentoring the participants and make them perform better in scholastic and non-scholastic areas.
- To promote collaborative learning in a library oriented learning environment.
- To make reading an enjoyable and lifelong activity by connecting two likeminded people.
Team: Reading Buddies: 25 pairs (50 students)
Teacher Mentors: 10 Teachers
Team Leader: Mr S. Ajayakumar, Principal
Coordinator: Mr S. L. Faisal, Librarian
Time frame: July-December
Project Blog: https://readmybuddy.wordpress.com
Stage I : INITIATION
Stage 2 : PERSONALIZATION
Stage 3 : ENGAGEMENT
Stage 4 : EVALUATION
Stage 5 : APPRECIATION
- Online registration for the reading companion programme, ‘Read my Buddy’ will start on 1st July 2016. Any student can submit a nomination for a team comprising of two members (Buddy 1 & 2), of which one must be a moderate reader. Being a pilot project, the membership is limited to 25 pairs only. Final selection from the nominations received will be done by the language/subject teachers and the RmB Team.
- A meeting of the team members will be conducted to give awareness and orientation.
- Details of the participants will be recorded and displayed on the project Blog with photographs.
- Each participant will be honoured with a RmB badge.
- A reading and learning skill assessment form is given to all Reading Buddies to collect data for creating the Reading Profile.
- The scholastic and non-scholastic scores of all second buddies will be assessed.
- The language/subject teachers of the Second Buddies will be consulted to understand the nature of his/her reading/learning difficulties and identifying specific difficult areas.
- A meeting of the Team RmB with all first buddies will be convened to device the strategies to improve the reading and learning skills of all second buddies.
- The strategies to be implemented will be discussed with the first buddies at a personal level. An action plan for each pair will be prepared.
- The personalized action plans with activities will be implemented in collaboration with the Teacher Mentors.
- Reading list for each Second Buddy will be prepared.
- A Reading Chart will be prepared to record the activities undertaken.
- The library resources will be open to the buddies at their convenience.
- The participants shall share their experience (Buddy Stories) on the project blog.
- The progress of the programme will be assessed after three months (October) by the RmB Team and changes if necessary will be incorporated.
- A survey will be conducted among the Buddies to assess the impact of the project.
- Pre & Post project Academic scoring will be compared and evaluated.
- The findings will be published on the project blog.
- Best performed Buddy pairs will be honoured with certificates and prizes.